Women Empowerment ~ If You want to Experience a Positive Life, or Get a life, STOP Watching TV or Reading the Daily News
"Woman Take No Government!" by Victoria Woodhull
Victoria Claflin Woodhull, later Victoria Woodhull Martin was an American leader of the woman's suffrage movement. In 1872, Woodhull ran for President of the United States using the above slogan.
I didn't add a picture of Thoreau but decided to add a picture of Mrs. Woodhull because like Thoreau she believed in smaller government and was a powerful force in the US Woman movement.
There are two positive ideas that came via his experiences of Thoreau's I gain on his Walden Pond discourses, which we have already discussed in several of our Blog posts, the first is:
“An early-morning walk is a blessing for the whole day.”
The second comes in the early evening when most of us rush home to watch the TV news, or if we have time read more of it sitting in our "Lazy Boy" couches, in hopes to relax before retiring to bed:
“And I am sure that I never read any memorable news in a newspaper. If we read of one man robbed, or murdered, or killed by accident, or one house burned, or one vessel wrecked, or one steamboat blown up, or one cow run over on the Western Railroad, or one mad dog killed, or one lot of grasshoppers in the winter, - we need never read of another. One is enough. If you are acquainted with the principle, what do you care for a myriad instances and applications?”
To Thoreau, next to morning walking meditation, the second choice you should make to live a happy life is to refuse to watch on TV or read the daily news. Or better still reading what Altucher says.
“I’ve worked at newspapers… you’re basically told to find the scariest thing you can, and write about it in the scariest way possible… every day is Halloween at the newspaper.” by James Altucher ~ famed Journalist
I have decided to add 6 Reasons to Choose to Be Happy and why it is best not to watch the NEWS either on TV or read about it either.
So here are 6 reasons I discovered from the link below.
1. Watching the News is Depressing. ~ Every time I take more than a few minutes to listen, I get a headache. I decided that instead of taking Tylenol it is far cheaper to refuse to watch the news of TV.
After making that commitment I have found that after taking my morning walk, and reducing to watch the News on TV, whether ABC, CBS, or NBC, NY Times or the Washington Post, because they are all depressing. I have become a whole lot happier person refusing to watch or read any of their commentaries, whether it is national or local, their daily messages are all distressing.
2. It is like watching a Reality TV Show that isn’t rally like Reality. Think about it, what you see on the Daily news, is it happening to you right now. No, it is creating an unreal situation. Most of it is fear-mongering and I know it is not real because any thing that causes more fear in my life, is not wholesome to my psyche nor should it become a part of my reality. Most of the events are even biased.
3. Everything in the News is beyond your circle of Influence. ~ This is the most important part of why watching the news is useless. What can I do if some event happens so far away, I can't do anything about it anyway. So I should I become for the rest of night and get less sleep because I go to bed rattled.
4. You don’t need to be informed to live a worthwhile life. ~ This is most important. Living a worthwhile life is by making a personal decision to be a person of value and a person who contributes the best you can with the talents you've got. Knowing what is negatively happening may even take you off course of being your best.
5. You’ll Never Know it all any way. ~ Why do you want to clutter your mind anyway with none useful information. Leonard Cohen said like was all about Suzanne is his album, "And she shows you where to look among the garbage from the flowers". Well, most of the news you hear on TV is just that. garbage.
6. You can catch up quickly if you need too. ~ For those of you who peruse the Internet daily, I can go onto it and grab few snippets off of titles here or there, without having to follow much deeper into the print. Using the Internet, You can catch up quickly even if it is before an election if you need to.
My belief is that the Internet is there to democratize us rather than increase "Big Brother's" influence.
In fact, Henry David Thoreau helps me make an election decision very quickly without even having to surf on the Internet or gather any other information. Using his quote below, I can quickly obtain who is my choice, without having to post up a quick Boolean question on Google.
As for how I can make a quick election decision, I have a very simple Thoreau quote which I can decide on within less than 2 minutes.
I will review the brochures of all the candidates applying this simple Thoreau statement. By applying this quote below, I have been right with whomever I feel is the best candidate, every election period.
Try it yourself so you don't have to struggle taking a month to decide, during this 2016 or any other election cycle.
"That government is best which governs least"
Henry David Thoreau